Prime Minister’s Police Medal For Life Savings
The Prime Minister’s Police Medal for Life Saving is awarded in case where exemplary devotion to duty is shown by a policeman in saving human life”. There is Central Coordinating Committee (CCC) constituted in MHA to consider proposals for this medal. The recommendations of the Committee are placed for the approval of Hon’ble Prime Minister. These medals are awarded every year on the occasion of All India Police Duty Meet.
The Parakram Padak was earlier known as “Wound Medal”. It was instituted by a Presidential Notification in 1973 . Personnel of Armed Forces who sustained/sustain wounds as a result of direct enemy action in any type of counter-insurgency operations are eligible for this medal. This medal is available for conferment to:-
(a) All ranks of the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, any of the Reserve Forces, Territorial Army and any other armed forces of the Union; and
(b) All ranks of Railway Protection Force, State Police Forces Home Guards, Civil Defence organization and any other organization specified by Government.
(c). Police personnel who sustain wounds as a result of direct enemy action in any type of operations or counter-insurgency operations or on internal security operations being undertaken in Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jammu & Kashmir,Jharkhand, Madya Pradesh, Maharasthra,Manipur ,Mizoram, Nagaland, Odhisha, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
2. The powers for award of Parakram Padaks have been delegated to the Heads of Police Departments in the States/UTs and Directors General of the Central Police Organizations.
Police ( Antrik Suraksha Seva) Padak
The Police (Antrik Suraksha Seva) Padak was instituted by a Presidential Notification dated 20th September, 2000 for the members of Police Forces, Central Police and Security Organizations to recognize their service in Counter-Insurgency Operations.
2. The Police (Antrik Suraksha Seva) Padak is awarded to Police Personnel who have rendered a minimum of two years service in counter-insurgency or Internal Security Operations in the Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, J&K, Manipur, Nagaland, Tripura and specified areas of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Orissa, UP and West Bengal.
3. The powers for award of Police (Antrik Suraksha Seva) Padak have been delegated to the Heads of Police Departments in the States/UTs/CAPFs.
Police (Special Duty) Medal
The Police (Special Duty) Medal and Bar was instituted vide President’s Secretariat Notification dated 23.02.1962 and 27.08.1969 for the members of the State Police Forces, Central Police/Security organizations throughout the Indian Union to recognize service under conditions of particular hardship and severe climate condition for a such period in the specified areas (List of areas). The areas for awarding Police (Special Duty) Medal are reviewed from time to time.
2. The members of the State Police Forces including the Central Armed Police Forces and the Central Intelligence Bureau are eligible for the award and Bar to the medal for service :-
- Those who have completed an aggregate of one year’s service after 1st January,1959, will be awarded the Police (Special Duty) Medal.
- The First Bar to the Medal will be awarded after a continuous service of two years.
- The second Bar to the Medal will be awarded after an additional aggregate service of 5 years subject to condition that the maximum number of Bars to be awarded to each eligible person will not be more than two.
3. The powers for award of Police (Special Duty) Medal have been delegated to Commander of the unit concerned vide MHA’ letter dated 10.09.1969.
4. Personnel of SPG on completion of normal tenure and NSG on completion of two years service are also eligible for the award of the Police (Special Duty) Medal vide Notification dated 22.06.2010 & 03.07.2012 respectively.